Woman killed in Riverton crash named

 A two-vehicle crash in Riverton about 8.30am yesterday left one person dead and four others with...
A two-vehicle crash in Riverton about 8.30am yesterday left one person dead and four others with serious injuries. PHOTO: LAURA SMITH
Police have named the woman who was killed in a crash in Riverton yesterday which also left four others injured.

Among the three traffic incidents in the region in the morning, one person died while another six sustained injuries ranging from serious to minor.

Meanwhile, Fire and Emergency New Zealand crews tackled a transformer fire at the Underwood substation.

A two-vehicle crash in Riverton about 8.30am left one person dead and four others with serious injuries.

Police confirmed this afternoon 31-year-old Raeann Cynthia Cook, of Fairfax, was the person who died in the crash. 

The last road fatality in the small seaside community was less than two weeks ago.

Police said the Serious Crash Unit had been advised and the area had been closed with a detour in place.

Earlier in the morning, a St John spokeswoman said one person was in a critical condition and had been flown to Dunedin Hospital by rescue helicopter.

All other patients were all transported to Southland Hospital by ambulance, she said.

Shortly after the Riverton crash, one person was injured in a crash involving a truck and a car on another Southland highway.

Police said the collision happened abut 9.15am on the Winton-Lorneville Highway, about 1km from Winton.

A St John spokeswoman said ambulance staff treated one person with moderate injuries and transported them to Southland Hospital.

St John was also called at 9.44am to a motor vehicle incident in Ettrick St, Invercargill.

One ambulance responded; St John treated one patient in a minor condition and took them to Southland Hospital.

The substation fire was tackled using foam, and firefighters had it under control by 12.35pm.

Fenz said it was alerted to smoke coming from the Underwood substation, near Lorneville, about 11.30am.

Crews from Invercargill and Wallacetown attended, as well as PowerNet staff.

A Fenz spokesman explained the difficulty in extinguishing a transformer fire was that it was filled with oil.

After the power was isolated, crews ensured there was enough foam to extinguish the fire once they began to do so.

‘‘Once you start, if you haven’t got enough to get it right out, you run out of the foam and the fire takes off again.

‘‘It only took about 10 to 15 minutes to put it out once they started.’’

As the smoke from the oil fire was thick and black, Environment Southland was notified.

Power was temporarily out to nearby areas including Lorneville and Wallacetown, as well as the nearby freezing works.

A PowerNet spokeswoman said supply had been restored to most customers by 1pm and the cause of the outage was being investigated. — Additional reporting ODT Online




Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter