
Cycling Southland president Julian Ineson said the new circuit was a "bit of a testing ground" and he was unsure if the changed route would be a permanent one until tour organisers had discussed it after the tour was finished.
"No stage is ever set in concrete."
But Mr Ineson said the restructured route offered the Southland public the ability to see some "top class international racing" from their doorstep during Saturday’s 2.1km circuit for the New Zealand Criterium Championships and the Tour of Southland’s extended 4.2km stage 1 circuit.
The alternative circuit, only 100m longer than the Queens Park criterium, was suggested by council staff when the traditional Gala and Kelvin St routes were marred by road works and the museum construction work site.
Council staff had been the ones who suggested the alternate route to the club.
"The council have been very supportive ... and have allowed us to have the whole roads available to ourselves here on part of Bainfield and on to Queens Drive."
Road users were able to continue using the road on a stop-go basis.
Road marshalls had been instructed to open the road up for customers wanting to access the Crafty’s Bar and Restaurant venue.
But Crafty’s Bar and Restaurant owner Jeremy Hawkes was critical of the communication he received during the event’s planning stages.
A traffic management plan had been requested from council which was provided at the beginning of last week, he said.
He accepted the route changes were needed to accommodate the damage incurred during October’s weather event and because of the Kelvin St road works.
"[But], I would’ve thought right at the planning stage, knowing that there’s business right smack bang in the middle of it, they would have approached me to come and get some input as to how we manage the traffic properly. But I knew nothing until that [brochure dated December 17] turned up in the mailbox."
Mr Hawkes said attempts to call the phone number listed on the brochure led to an inactive phone number.
Mr Ineson said 650 information brochures had been distributed around the affected neighbourhoods and he had received nothing but positive feedback.
"It should be no surprise to anybody. We’ve spoken to a lot of people, including himself and the residents over here [Bainfield Rd] were over the moon."
Invercargill City Council strategic asset planning manager Doug Rodgers said the Tour of Southland was a significant event in the region’s calendar which had wide-ranging benefits for the community.
Events which required temporary traffic measures like the tour, were managed by event organisers who liaise directly with affected residents, businesses and property owners.
Event traffic management included managing access to properties within any temporary road closure areas.











