You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Dunedin netball finals will not be played this year.
The sport is the first to cancel its deciding weekend of games, which were to be played on September 11 after several rescheduled dates.
That includes all finals, from premier grades down the school grades.
Advice from Netball New Zealand on Thursday stating that players would need a minimum of one full week to prepare to resume playing became the final blow.
Dunedin Netball advised last week it planned to play the games on that date if a move to Alert Level 2 was announced on Monday.
It added it was the latest date finals could take place.
In a statement the organisation said it was ‘‘gutted and disappointed'' to be unable to finish the season.
The Dunedin Netball board would meet to discuss the outcome of the season standings.
Both basketball and hockey have finals to be played as well, although both are still awaiting a rescheduled date.
North Otago netball is still hoping to complete its season.
The province, stuck on outdoor courts until a proposed new stadium is built, has had a wretched season with bad weather, and is desperate to get back on court.
A spokeswoman said clubs had been asked for their feedback, and the committee hoped to make a decision this weekend.