Former Crusaders staffer gets boozed, crashes franchise car

A motorist more than three times over the drink driving limit who crashed into a bridge was a former Crusaders staff member.

Last week, The Star revealed the driver who struck a bridge at Tai Tapu in the early hours of the morning was due to hand back the company car he was driving.

Now The Star has learned he was part of the the champion franchise who had lost his job in a restructure days before the 1am, July 27 crash.

He recorded a breath alcohol reading of 1068 mcg/l, more than three times the legal limit of 250mcg/l. Miraculously, he was uninjured.

Crusaders chief executive Colin Mansbridge said he was limited in what he could say as it was a private, employment-related matter involving a “now former” Crusaders employee.

He would not say if the former employee would be liable for the vehicle.

Asked if he was on Crusaders-related business on the weekend of the crash, Mansbridge said: “Absolutely not.”

The Crusader vehicle was written off and $6000 damage was caused to the bridge.

It is likely he will face a bill for both, as well as a potential lengthy suspension from driving.

Said Mansbridge: “It goes without saying that the Crusaders do not condone driving under the influence, irrespective of whether someone is in a company vehicle or not. We are unable to comment further on the specific details relating to this incident.”

Said Senior Constable Andy Williamson who attended the crash: “He was incredibly remorseful and understood the consequences of what he had done.”

The man had been drinking in Lincoln after watching a rugby match earlier in the day.

The crash came during a Canterbury-wide police crackdown on drink driving in July.

Police tested 14,042 motorists during the month. Sixty-seven were over the legal limit of 250mcg/l, 32 of those over the second limit of 400mcg/l.

 

suv-updated-banner.jpg

Local trusted journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Star Media journalists and photographers continue to report local stories that matter everyday - yours.

For more than 152 years our journalists have provided Cantabrians with local news that can be trusted. It’s more important now than ever to keep Cantabrians connected.

As our advertising has fallen during the pandemic, support from you our reader is crucial.

You can help us continue to provide local news you can trust simply by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter