You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: Why did 10 men sit down and tell their harrowing story of sexual trauma to our cameras? Because they all thought they were the only one. But they want others to know that they are not alone.
In the finale of the series, peer support worker Paul Davenport and Males Survivors Aotearoa national advocate Ken Clearwater talk about New Zealand's path to 'owning' how badly it has 'failed to protect children'.
- Gang raped in the army showers: 'I know I'll never see justice
- 'We're stuck with their sh*t'
- Raped by a woman: They ask 'why didn't I like it'
- ‘I don’t know what love is’: Sexually abused at 3, then again in state care
- Boarding school brutality: ‘They used a broom handle on me’
- The secret locals knew: ‘Do you want to bring some friends along?’
- A life lived in fear: Drug addict at age 6, alcoholic at 7
- ‘Hold on to what they are, not what the abuse makes them’
- Violated by a priest who went on to commit a 'litany of offending'
- A 50 year secret: 'He ripped all my innocence away'
One in six boys will be sexually abused before they are 18. In this CTV video series, 10 men have told their stories. All grew up believing they were the only ones it had happened to. Now they want other victims to know they are not alone and, if they are ready, help is there for them.
Need to talk? 1737, free 24/7 phone and text number
Healthline: 0800 611-116
Lifeline Aotearoa: 0800 543-354
Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828-865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
Samaritans: 0800 726-666
Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787-797
General mental health inquiries: 0800 443-366
The Depression Helpline: 0800 111-757
Youthline: 0800 376-633, txt 234 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s Up (for 5-18 year olds; 1pm-11pm): 0800 942-8787
Tone Miller, Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Dunedin/Invercargill: 0211987878.