You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT: The flashbacks are what sends Jack into a spiral. The memories of rape as a five-year-old. But they didn't stop, they kept happening by different perpetrators. Then the beatings. He injected heroin at the age of six after watching it being done by people around him.
'I was a drug addict at the age of six, alcoholic at the age of 7.'
- Gang raped in the army showers: 'I know I'll never see justice'
- NZ's sexual trauma story: 'We have failed to protect our children'
- 'We're stuck with their sh*t'
- Raped by a woman: They ask 'why didn't I like it'
- ‘I don’t know what love is’: Sexually abused at 3, then again in state care
- Boarding school brutality: ‘They used a broom handle on me’
- The secret locals knew: ‘Do you want to bring some friends along?’
- ‘Hold on to what they are, not what the abuse makes them’
- Violated by a priest who went on to commit a 'litany of offending'
- A 50 year secret: 'He ripped all my innocence away'
Jack was jailed after torturing an alleged child abuser and was deported home to New Zealand. He has started his journey to healing but says at the moment 'he is just hanging in there.'
Jack spoke to CTV as part of its Challenge the Silence series. One in six boys will be sexually abused before they are 18. In this video series, 10 men have told their stories. All grew up believing they were the only ones it had happened to. Now they want other victims to know they are not alone and, if they are ready, help is there for them.
Need to talk? 1737, free 24/7 phone and text number
Healthline: 0800 611-116
Lifeline Aotearoa: 0800 543-354
Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828-865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
Samaritans: 0800 726-666
Alcohol Drug Helpline: 0800 787-797
General mental health inquiries: 0800 443-366
The Depression Helpline: 0800 111-757
Youthline: 0800 376-633, txt 234 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s Up (for 5-18 year olds; 1pm-11pm): 0800 942-8787
Tone Miller, Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse Dunedin/Invercargill: 0211987878.