Alleged murderer to appear in court

A man charged with murder is set to appear in the Dunedin District Court today, after a death in the city on Friday evening.

Parts of Somerville St and Marne St in Andersons Bay remained cordoned off yesterday and a police marquee could be seen outside a house at the intersection of the two streets as police and fire services staff carried out their work.

Neighbours said the family living at the house were ‘‘decent, quiet people’’ who had lived at the address for many years.

The primary concern of those living nearby was for the welfare of those involved.

A long-term resident in the area said she believed an older couple lived at the property.

She had known the family, including their children, when they were younger, she said.

The mother had been widowed some years ago and had a long-term partner.

The occupants were ‘‘quiet as church mice’’.

A police officer keeps watch at the intersection of Somerville St and Marne St in Andersons Bay,...
A police officer keeps watch at the intersection of Somerville St and Marne St in Andersons Bay, Dunedin, on Saturday after a person’s death the previous evening. PHOTO: PETER MCINTOSH
Another resident said it was a sad situation and she was shocked something so horrible had happened close by.

Police said emergency services were called to a Somerville St property about 5.50pm on Friday and a body was found there, but one neighbour thought the timing might have been a bit earlier than 5.50pm.

When she arrived home on Friday evening, emergency services were in the street, she said.

Police talked to people that night and they put up a tent, she said.

She was surprised a homicide investigation was happening in her neighbourhood.

Another resident said they felt ‘‘unnerved’’ and they were worried about who the victim was.

They described the occupants of the cordoned-off property as nice people who lived a quiet life.

‘‘They've always been perfectly decent people.

‘‘It’s a scary thing to have happened.’’

Residents said it was normally a relatively quiet area and they were not aware of any problems at the property at the centre of the investigation.

Police said a man at the scene was taken into custody on Friday night.

On Saturday, it was confirmed a 37-year-old man had been arrested and charged with murder.

Police are not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident and said there was not thought to be any risk to the public. — Additional reporting Tim Scott

grant.miller@odt.co.nz

 

Advertisement