DVML in talks about another international concert act

Forsyth Barr Stadium could host its third major international concert later this year, just months after Paul Simon appears on stage.

Dunedin Venues Management Ltd chief executive Darren Burden confirmed he was in talks aimed at securing another major international act to follow Paul Simon's April 6 show.

If confirmed, the concert would be of similar or larger scale to Simon's show, and would be staged at the stadium later this year, he said.

The company had been fielding ''a number of inquiries'' during the past 18 months, but traction had increased as relationships with promoters had developed, he said.

''We are working on a couple of things at the moment. We will see what happens in the coming months.

''There's one opportunity that we are working on that we have progressed further than others. It's by no means a done deal and we will continue to work on it and see where we get to,'' he said.

Since opening, the roofed venue had struggled to attract a follow-up act to rival Elton John, who performed to a sell-out crowd in November 2011.

The dearth of headline acts prepared to follow in his footsteps had prompted criticism, but DVML staff - including former chief executive David Davies - blamed the situation on a tough touring market.

- chris.morris@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter