You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The Fire Service was called after an occupant asleep in the second›floor room where the fire started was startled by a smoke alarm shrieking, East Otago Fire Risk Management officer Michael Harrison said.
‘‘He discovered the fire and alerted everyone else and then the other smoke alarms sounded.''
The man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
There were about six occupants in the 10›bedroom property at the time of the fire.
‘‘They had smoke alarms installed one or two months ago. Without those it would have been quite a different story.
‘‘Luckily there was just damage to the building and no serious injuries to anyone.''
Fire damage was limited to one part of the flat and into the roof area, with smoke and water damage to the second floor. While the cause of the fire was yet to be confirmed, it was not believed to be suspicious, he said.