Student hurt in queue pushing at North Dunedin bar

OUSA said the behaviour of the man who removed the rainbow flag during the event at Starters Bar...
Photo: ODT files
A woman was injured as hundreds of people gathered outside a North Dunedin bar for Re-O Week festivities.

Police said a woman received "crush injuries" when about 500 people queued outside Starters Bar on Monday night.

New safety measures have now been established at the bar, which has been owned by the Otago University Students Association since late 2018.

Association events and venue operations manager Jason Schroeder said a queue quickly developed outside the bar after it reached its 415-person capacity about 10.30pm.

"Students in line were well behaved, bar a group of a few at the front who pushed forward, knocking over a crowd barrier."

A female student injured her hip in the incident, he said. She was helped at once by security.

"We have been in touch with her family, who are happy with how things have been handled and have confirmed she is fine and not needing medical attention."

It follows the death of student Sophia Crestani during a large party in a Dundas St flat last year.

Miss Crestani was believed to have died as a result of a large crush of people on a staircase during the party.

Mr Schroeder said bar staff worked closely with Campus Watch and police, and well-trained security staff were handling events.

"After this unfortunate accident, we have put in more barriers, increased security and increased buffer spacing in the queue."

Comments

I still don't understand why the Uni bars such The Bowler, Gardies, The Outback etc were never replaced with new bars for the student night life. I have had this conversation with many who were lucky like me to enjoy the variety of bars and be free of lines and over crowded dance floors. It still doesn't make sense why they took them all away especially with our ever growing population.

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter