Man charged with journalist's murder

Police have charged a 31-year-old unemployed Whanganui man with the murder of veteran journalist Derek Round.

The man was charged earlier this morning and is due to appear in the Whanganui District Court later today.

Detective Senior Sergeant Dave Kirby said the charge was a "significant step" but the inquiry into Mr Round's death was continuing.

"Work is also ongoing to establish whether more than one person was involved in Derek's death.

"Today's development is the result of a big effort by the investigation team and I would like to thank the public and media who have assisted us.

"However we still need your help and the team remains focused on the missing bits of the puzzle and finding answers for Derek's grieving family."

Mr Kirby said police were still looking to locate missing clothing thought to have been worn by the person who killed Mr Round.

They were also seeking more information about the movements of Mr Round's distinctive blue Jaguar car between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter