Southern Infrastructure boss Ross Copland describes last week’s announcement the proposed Queenstown Cable Car can access public transport funding as a “breakthrough” for the region. Last Friday, Prime Minister Christopher Luxon said a re-elected National government would ensure congestion-reducing gondola solutions could access such funding through the National Land Transport Fund. Copland says that’s huge. “Building public infrastructure isn’t just about the physical assets and engineering. “A huge part of the Queenstown Cable [Car] project has been working with ministers and officials at central and local government on the funding, financing, regulatory and policy settings needed to deliver this critical transport upgrade for Queenstown. “[Last week’s] announcement that a Queenstown urban gondola will have the same access to transport funding as rail, bus and ferry services is a breakthrough for our region.” The proposed cable car, for which fast-track consent is being sought, is being designed to work alongside more frequent buses, dedicated bus lanes, improved cycleways and walking connections, park-and-ride facilities and targeted road improvements to provide more reliable alternatives than a private car. Copland says similar examples are already operating successfully as part of public transport networks globally — La Paz, in Bolivia, for example has a 10-line urban cableway, while Paris opened its first last December, connecting communities with the existing metro system. “These examples demonstrate that urban cable cars are not experimental. “They are an established form of mass public transport that can provide frequent and reliable services in places where geography and existing development make conventional transport infrastructure difficult or expensive to deliver.” Southern Infrastructure’s already awarded key build contracts to Leitner, Doppelmayr and Naylor Love, with detailed design and consent preparation continuing. While he notes National’s announcement isn’t a “funding guarantee”, he says it opens the door for the project to participate in the regional public transport plan, led by Otago Regional Council (ORC), with confidence funding tools are in place. “Our transport consultants WSP have assumed an estimated $6 adult ticket price, but this could be brought into line with the existing bus fare ($2.50) with the right mix of funding tools in place.” However, Copland says Southern Infrastructure would like to see visitors paying their “fair share” to address the current subsidy they receive from locals who pay the public transport targeted rate. “Our modelling indicates a visitor fare in the $15-$20 per adult range would be appropriate.” Ultimately, ticket pricing decisions will be made by the ORC. “We look forward to continuing to work with local and central government, transport agencies and the Queenstown community as the project progresses,” Copland says. tracey.roxburgh@scene.co.nz