Englishman charged after stabbing

An English tourist has been arrested and charged in relation to a stabbing at the Glenorchy Holiday Park early on Sunday.

Detective Sergeant Grahme Bartlett said a 53-year-old Englishman, in New Zealand on a visitors' permit, had been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and assault with a weapon.

Det Sgt Bartlett said the incident occurred at 2.50am when two Southland men, aged 27 and 28, who were staying in a unit at the holiday park, were using the communal kitchen.

As a result of a confrontation, the 27-year-old was taken to Dunedin Hospital by ambulance with two knife wounds, one to the chest area and one to the side of his stomach.

The man was "improving" and might be released this week, Det Sgt Bartlett said.

The 28-year-old received "a cut".

The 53-year-old has been remanded in custody to appear in the Queenstown District Court on Monday.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter