Patrick Erin Sydney-bound

Brian Anderton
Brian Anderton
Star southern stayer Patrick Erin is unlikely to race in New Zealand again.

The Brian and Shane Anderton-trained 6yr-old will soon join leading Sydney trainer Chris Waller for an autumn campaign.

The horse's high place in the handicaps and a lack of suitable staying options in the South Island were behind the move, Brian Anderton said.

''We are pretty disappointed with his rating and there is not much here for him in the South Island,'' he said.

Patrick Erin's main autumn target will be the $A2million ($NZ2.15million) Sydney Cup on day two of The Championships at Randwick on April 14.

Confirming his place in that race would depend on how the Gallant Guru galloper adapted to the competitive Sydney scene.

''He will be aimed at the Sydney Cup. It's a $2million race so it's a good target for him,'' Anderton said.

''He doesn't necessarily have to run in that race. It will depend on how he goes over there - I would be pretty disappointed if he didn't come up, though.''

A plan was hatched to send Patrick Erin to Sydney by Brian and Shane Anderton and the horse's owners and the deal was formalised with Waller at the Karaka yearling sales last week.

Waller is keen to have the star southern join Winx in his Sydney stable, Brian Anderton said.

Although his autumn campaign will decide his long term, Patrick Erin looks unlikely to return to race in New Zealand.

There are simply more options across the Tasman - including outside Sydney - where the horse will not be forced to carry big weights like he does here.

''There is not much for him to come back to,'' Anderton said.

Only 14 horses racing in New Zealand have a higher rating than Patrick Erin.

That is despite the galloper having won only one group or listed race - last season's Riverton Cup.

The rating reflected the unfair treatment of South Island horses, Anderton said.

Patrick Erin leaves North Taieri after compiling an impeccable racing record, winning 10 and placing in eight of just 21 career starts.

The 6yr-old ran a creditable fourth in last month's group 3 Wellington Cup after overracing badly in the running under his 59kg topweight.

Patrick Erin's new trainer announced yesterday that Winx's spring campaign would be altered.

On Monday it was confirmed rider Hugh Bowman would be unavailable to ride the wonder mare in her first-up aim, the Apollo Stakes.

The suspension will mean the star galloper will bypass the race and trial instead before racing in the Chipping Norton on March 3.

''Hugh Bowman is a very important part of Winx and we feel that we can go straight into the Chipping Norton first-up without the need to resume in the Apollo Stakes as we had originally planned,'' Waller said in a statement.

''She races well fresh and we are well ahead of schedule with her, so I will simply give her a third trial to ensure her fitness levels are high enough to compete at her best in this race.''

 

Add a Comment