Hotel supporters still in discussions

John Christie.
John Christie.
Alternatives to a $100 million waterfront hotel in Dunedin are still being discussed as the clock ticks towards a decision deadline.

However, exactly what the hotel developers' next move will be remains a closely guarded secret after they were refused resource consent earlier this month.

Betterways Advisory Ltd has until June 26 to decide whether to appeal the decision of the Dunedin City Council's hearings committee to decline consent for the hotel at 41 Wharf St.

Betterways director Steve Rodgers - the man fronting the hotel bid - did not want to comment on any aspect of the hotel bid yesterday, saying only the full time allowed to decide any appeal would be needed.

However, the Otago Daily Times understands several property owners have come forward with alternative sites capable of accommodating a hotel, and that parties were busy behind the scenes.

That included the Otago Chamber of Commerce, which had indicated earlier this month it was talking to Betterways to try and rescue the situation.

Chamber chief executive John Christie was also tight-lipped yesterday, but confirmed discussions with Betterways about ''some alternatives'' were continuing.

''Just wait a bit longer.''

Asked if an announcement on an alternative to the hotel could follow, he said: ''I can't possibly comment.

''All I'll say is we're doing whatever we can as an organisation to get a good outcome for the city, as I'm sure Steve [Rodgers] is.''

chris.morris@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

 

september_carousel_header.jpg

september_carousel_footer.jpg