More Cadbury job cuts possible

Cadbury is not ruling out further job cuts for its Dunedin plant, after the chocolate maker announced another wave of redundancies.

On Tuesday, Cadbury announced a proposal to cut 45 jobs and create 19 new positions, which could result in 26 further redundancies.

In August the company announced 145 jobs would be cut from its Dunedin operation, and 70 redundancies - not including the latest announcement - have been confirmed so far.

While a further 49 redundancies could still be expected, the company would not rule out further job losses, Cadbury spokesman Daniel Ellis said.

"As we continue to transform the site to become a centre of excellence, we expect further redundancies to occur."

Last year the company announced it was investing $51 million "to transform Cadbury Dunedin into a centre of excellence in the production of chocolate assortments for the New Zealand and Australia market".

The latest proposal would result in 45 supervisor and leading hand roles being disestablished and 19 front-line leader roles being created.

"All employees who may be displaced can and will be encouraged to apply for one of the new front-line leader roles."

Employees would know early next month if they would be made redundant, he said.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter