You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Tickets remain for the Sir Elton John concert at Dunedin's still-under-construction Forsyth Barr Stadium on November 25.
Capital C: Concerts managing director Phil Sprey said yesterday "a couple of thousand" seats were still available for the first concert by an international performer at the stadium.
Mr Sprey was originally considering holding a second Sir Elton concert in the stadium, if demand had justified it.
However, public ticket sales for the concert opened the day after the Canterbury earthquake on February 22, which had "a terrible" effect on sales, he said.
"[But] losing a few sales is a hell of a lot better than losing your life."
Nearly half (45%) of the 30,000 seats sold so far have been bought in Dunedin, with another 20% from the Otago region, Mr Sprey said.
The North Island and top of the South Island accounted for 33% of sales, with the remaining 2% bought overseas, mostly in Australia and the United States. A recent reconnaissance of the stadium had been encouraging.
"As the promoter, we are extremely excited about the stadium as, when we visited and stood on the pitch, the atmosphere was a very intimate feel," Mr Sprey said.
"Unlike other New Zealand stadiums, the closeness of the seats to the pitch and the perception of distance made a unique impact, where even a seat as far away as the opposite end still had a close feel."
He was confident the remaining tickets, which were "mostly in the better sections", would sell out well before the concert. The concert was Sir Elton's first in the South Island for 20 years.