Kiwi soldier possibly shot by friendly fire

The Defence Force is not ruling out a report that Afghan police shot and wounded one of the two New Zealand SAS soldiers wounded in last week's Kabul hotel firefight with Taliban insurgents.

The Australian Broadcasting Service (ABC) yesterday quoted a senior Afghan police official as saying that one of his men accidentally shot and wounded the Kiwi soldier as Nato forces tried to retake the Intercontinental Hotel.

A Defence Force spokesman said he doubted, but could not rule, out the claim.

"Although you cannot always be completely sure in very complex operations with multiple agencies involved in resolving the situation, we have no evidence to suggest friendly fire was a factor in what occurred," he told The Sunday Star Times.

He said the two soldiers were "recovering well and in god spirits".

"Their injuries are not life-threatening and their families are in contact. The soldiers will return to duty in due course."

The hotel was hosting an Afghan security conference and a wedding when the insurgents struck killing nine Afghan civilians, mostly hotel workers in the lobby, two police officers and a Spanish citizen, reportedly an airline pilot on a stopover in Kabul.

Three insurgents were shot dead and five blew themselves up as Nato forces retook the hotel.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter