Regional museums join forces to address funding concerns

Ian Griffin. Photo: Otago Museum
Ian Griffin. Photo: Otago Museum
The Otago, Canterbury and Auckland War Memorial museums have recently joined forces in a video conference meeting with the Ministry of Culture and Heritage over funding concerns.

Otago Museum director Ian Griffin said last month that the planned meeting reflected a bid to overcome the post-Covid-19 lockdown funding "crisis" and serious challenges facing the country’s three municipal museums.

Dr Griffin has long advocated a combined museum sector approach to address inadequate state funding for regional museums holding treasures of international significance.

Otago Museum Trust Board chairman Prof David Hutchinson confirmed that a Zoom meeting was held on Friday, including the chief executives and governance board heads of the museums, and ministry chief executive Bernadette Cavanagh.

It was significant that the museums were working closely together. The discussions were "amicable" and more would be held, he said.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter