Carisbrook complex may be spared

Calder Stewart will have six months to progress the development of Carisbrook, or lose a $200,000 bond, but may yet spare the terrace hospitality complex, Mayor Dave Cull says.

The suggestion came after it was confirmed on Thursday the Dunedin City Council's deal to sell the old sports ground to Calder Stewart had gone unconditional.

Mr Cull, in a statement announcing the sale's confirmation, said the company had agreed to pay $3.5 million - not the $3.3 million earlier announced.

However, the statement also said the company would receive $200,000 back if the stadium's grandstands - but not the terrace hospitality complex - were demolished within six months.

That appeared to contradict building consents issued to Calder Stewart earlier this year, which together allowed the demolition of everything at the ground, except the category-one listed Neville St turnstile building.

Calder Stewart staff did not respond to requests for comment yesterday, but Mr Cull said he understood the hospitality complex might be spared.

The building - built for $4 million in 1994 - did not need to come down for the company to receive its $200,000 back, he said.

Asked if that left open the possibility it could remain, he said: ''I suppose it does. It's entirely up to them [Calder Stewart].''

However, the $200,000 incentive built into the contract with Calder Stewart aimed to encourage development of the site, he said.

''Clearly, the site can't be developed unless you clear a bit of what's there, and it's in a pretty rumpity state. From the city or the community's point of view, nobody wants the thing sitting there mouldering away forever.

''If Calder Stewart . . . was going to do anything, we want them to get on with it and so I guess that was the incentive to help them.''

Calder Stewart staff have so far declined to discuss their plans for the site, and the council has said only it would be used for an industrial development.

''I can't tell you anything ... because I don't know what their intentions are,'' Mr Cull said.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter