20 reported dead after bus hits bomb

An Afghan official says a passenger bus has hit a roadside bomb in the country's south and the blast killed 20 people.

Nimroz province's deputy police chief, Musa Rasoli, says those on the bus were traveling on Thursday afternoon (local time) from Kandahar, the largest city in the south, to Nimroz province in southwest Afghanistan.

Rasoli says one other passenger was wounded in the explosion. It wasn't immediately clear how many were on board.

The accident occurred in the same place where two different buses hit roadside bombs last year, killing 30 people in those explosions. Rasoli says the route also is used by Afghan police, army and US-led coalition forces.

Add a Comment

 

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter