Prince Harry charity trek reaches South Pole

Prince Harry arrives at the South Pole with other members of the expedition. REUTERS/Walking With...
Prince Harry arrives at the South Pole with other members of the expedition. REUTERS/Walking With The Wounded
Prince Harry, grandson of Britain's Queen Elizabeth, has reached the South Pole after a two-week trek across Antarctica with wounded soldiers to raise funds for military charities, organisers said.

Harry, 29, and three teams including 12 wounded service personnel, with amputees from Britain, the United States, Canada and Australia, reached their goal on Friday at 1325 GMT , the South Pole Allied Challenge announced on its Twitter website.

"We get into the South Pole on Friday the 13th - unlucky for some, lucky for us," Harry said in a video message posted on Wednesday, adding he was feeling "not too bad".

"The wind has dropped down, which is nice. I think everyone is feeling a bit tired, but slowly getting into the rhythm - only just got into the rhythm now and it has almost finished."

The three seven-strong teams set off on the 335km trek from a Russian research station on Dec. 1, pulling supplies on sledges.

Originally it was planned to be a race between British, American and Commonwealth teams but because of hostile terrain, the competitive element of the expedition was abandoned.

The prince, currently an army Apache helicopter pilot who has served twice in Afghanistan, is a keen supporter of military charities, especially Britain's Walking With The Wounded, and was patron of the South Pole fundraising project.

In 2011, he joined the start of the charity's trek to the North Pole before returning to Britain for the wedding of elder brother William to Kate Middleton.

Harry, the fourth in line to the throne, is the first member of the royal family to trek to the geographic South Pole although his grandfather Prince Philip and aunt Princess Anne have previously visited Antarctica.

Add a Comment

ev-and-hybrid-banner-updated_0.jpg

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter