Australian F1 Grand Prix called off after positive test

Racing at last year's Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix in Melbourne. Photo: Getty Images
Racing at last year's Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix in Melbourne. Photo: Getty Images
The Australian Grand Prix has been postponed following McLaren's withdrawal from the Formula One season opener after a team member tested positive for coronavirus, according to reports.

The decision was taken following a crisis two-hour summit involving F1's hierarchy, its governing body, the FIA, and a number of the sport's team principals in Melbourne, the BBC and Sky Television Association have reported.

Motorsport.com quoted sources saying a majority of the teams were unhappy to continue and the governing FIA would accept the decision.

There has yet been no official confirmation from F1 or the sport's governing body the FIA.

F1's move follows the tide of the sporting world after a series of events were cancelled or delayed on Thursday in response to the deadly disease which has claimed more than 4,600 lives.

McLaren chiefs told governing body FIA of their decision to pull out late on Thursday night, barely 24 hours before practice was due to start in Melbourne.

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter