You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Dunedin Venues Management LTD (DVML) chief executive, David Davies, yesterday said he was "disappointed" he had not heard from concert promoters before this week about the collapse of negotiations to bring Rod Stewart to Dunedin.
Mr Davies said he was not aware of the situation until an Otago Daily Times reporter rang him on Wednesday.
"It is distracting from what should be a real celebration," he said on the eve of the stadium's official opening.
The Otago Daily Times reported yesterday Melbourne-based concert promoter Michael Gudinski had pulled the plug on a concert at the stadium by the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer.
Mr Gudinski is behind the Frontier Touring Company, which had been in negotiations with DVML for rock act Meat Loaf to play at the stadium in October, a prospect that did not happen because of an agreement Elton John would be the first act at the venue.
DVML withdrew from negotiations, which angered the promoters.
The newspaper yesterday saw a draft contract sent to Frontier's New Zealand-based promoter Brent Eccles for the Rod Stewart concert in July.
But Mr Eccles said yesterday the issue with the Rod Stewart concert was that Mr Gudinski was still angry over the Meat Loaf event.
The company lost money, as the concert had to be taken to a Tauranga venue, which had room for only 5000 people, he said.
"Michael Gudinski was beside himself," Mr Eccles said yesterday. There had been discussions with DVML about the Rod Stewart concert, but Mr Gudinski "would not have a bar of it".
The only way the concert would have gone ahead was if DVML had made concessions, such as offering the stadium free of charge, and that had not happened. While his company might still book acts at the stadium, Frontier Touring would not, Mr Eccles said.
Mr Davies said there would not necessarily be too much damage from the situation.
"We've still got bookings coming in. It will be seen as uncomfortable."