You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
McManus Entertainment managing director Andrew McManus told the Otago Daily Times from Melbourne yesterday he had taken legal action against Forsyth Barr Stadium over the fee.
Mr McManus said he agreed a deal with Dunedin Venues Management Ltd in January to bring Aerosmith and Fleetwood Mac to Dunedin.
''We agreed to a contract for $200,000 for Aerosmith and $200,000 for a Fleetwood Mac concert later this year. When I did the initial deal, I honestly believed I had both tours.''
The amounts were to be paid by the stadium to the promoter.
Aerosmith played on April 24 and Fleetwood Mac was scheduled to perform on December 17.
Mr McManus has previously promoted two Fleetwood Mac tours and solo tours by band members Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood. However, Fleetwood Mac subsequently committed to United States promoter Live Nation, ruling out a Dunedin concert.
The concert cancellation activated a $50,000 cancellation fee, which Mr McManus disputes and said he would fight.
''I've been a promoter for 27 years and I've never encountered anything like this before. It's morally and professionally wrong.
''The whole experience with Dunedin and the stadium has been tarnished.
''I guarantee you I will never, ever, bring another show to Dunedin while those people are in charge.''
Forsyth Barr Stadium chief executive Darren Burden said yesterday the terms of the contract were ''explicit''.
''We have a contract with McManus for Aerosmith and Fleetwood Mac. It was a two-show deal,'' Mr Burden said.
''We were formally informed on Monday that the Fleetwood Mac concert would not be proceeding, so we therefore began working through the provisions of the contract in respect of cancellation.
''It is all in accordance with the contract. It was very explicit that it was Aerosmith and Fleetwood Mac.''